Angela and I

Angela and I

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

On The Road - St. Pete

It’s probably been too long since the concerts to write or post this, but my friend Holly started posting her MOE tour recaps so here I am, talking about the concert I went to exactly two weeks ago.  I’m not even halfway done with my Autumn of Hanson which is exciting and intimidating all at once.  So...here are my thoughts from my first stop of the MOE tour.

On the road, you will find yourself getting lost, being someone else
But you know you will find yourself on the road...



  • Sometimes, getting up at 4am on the morning of your birthday is a crazy idea but it ends up paying off.  That is exactly what Sarah and I did a couple Tuesdays ago.  We woke up at 4, parked my car at the dolphin at 4:30, and plopped down at Jannus at around 4:45.  We ended up being 4th and 5th in line (behind our new line friends for life, Holly, Holly, and Laura, and in front of our new line friends for life, Lauren, Robin, and Meredith!!  But more about these amazing ladies later!).



  • Twelve hours on DTSP sidewalks isn’t the worst way to spend a day.  This was my first Hanson front row experience, and I’m not gonna lie...I didn’t quite know what to expect when it came to the line. But it was surprisingly pleasant.  I’m also pretty easily entertained, and my home city is a GREAT place to people watch.  It’s one of the things I love most about downtown.  Plus, we had the Starbucks across the street and American Stage right around the corner for any sudden bathroom needs.  Everyone in line was cool about people coming and going, and I was able to go get us Bella take out for lunch and say hi to all my friends there.  

  • Members Only Events need to be better organized. Like...much better.  The set list for the event was awesome, and I was totally blissed out.  Somebody That Wants to Love you, Ghostwriter, Best of Times, Dance Like You Don’t Care, Rollercoaster Love, and of course, I Don’t Want To Go Home.  It was a dream to hear those songs played live (this was my first Members Event and I was right smack dab in the front).  But then we had to give up our spots for pictures and it was all a huge mess (and honestly kind of scary).  Thankfully the eight of us, who were the first eight in line and had spent the entire day together, worked together to get our spots back up front once the pictures were done. I'm already dreading the next Member's Event but at least now I know what to expect.  I will always be grateful for the six ladies we met that day!!  Seriously the kindest and best concert buddies I could ever ask for.  

  • Thankfully, during the event, Sarah snagged us some water bottles at the bar because this turned out to be the hottest and sweatiest concert I’ve ever attended.  And I’ve been to a lot of outdoor shows!  Heck, I’ve been to a lot of outdoor shows AT JANNUS.   But this one was another level.  Maybe it was because we had been outside ALL day, we were in the front row, and Hanson shows are basically just a two hour cardio workout...yeah that could be it.  I plan on doing the line a couple more times this tour, so I need to just hydrate better.  Lesson learned!  

  • The first five songs of the set list (Already Home, Waiting for This, Where’s the Love, Look at You, and Tragic Symphony) flowed seamlessly together in a whirlwind of frenetic energy.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  The transitions that they arranged to carry one song into the next were so cool, and I know my mouth was hanging open for all of them.  I love all five of those songs, especially live, and now I know why they don’t switch up the set list all that much.  They have the transitions down to an exact science, and even the songs with no musical interludes fit together to create a perfect representation of the last 25 years of music.  



  • I will never get over the SOUND of a Hanson concert.  It must be wild for first timers.  The crowd is so loud, singing along confidently, knowing every single word.  I had a bunch of friends there that night, seeing their very first Hanson show, and they were amazed at the energy.  It’s unlike anything you’ve ever experienced!  

  • Highlights of the night: The transitions that had been arranged specifically for this tour are my number one highlight of the whole show, but other than that…
    • Runaway Run!!  My favorite song from TTA.  It has such a special place in my heart.
    • Weird ---> Go.  It was magical.  Goosebumps all over.
    • Strong Enough To Break ACTUALLY killed me.  I’ve always loved that song but I heard it in a totally new way that night.  Plus, Taylor gave a little speech about how they are here because of us and our loyalty.  I’ve never been more proud to be their fan.
    • Penny and Me because duh.
    • Watch Over Me because ISAAC HANSON LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.  This was his show.  He was on fire.
    • I Was Born!  Taylor’s speech before this song is so inspirational and moving, and speaks to the song much more than any skydive or swim with sharks ever will.  
    • Fired Up ---> In the City.  WOWWWW.  They sure know how to end on a high note.  These two songs were insane!!!  I’ve literally never experienced anything like that at a concert, and I’ve seen a lot of concerts!  

  • After the show ended, Sarah and I opted to find my roommates and head home instead of waiting by the bus.  It had been the longest day of our lives and we were soaked through with sweat...and I’m pretty sure I was about to overheat.  Casual.  So we piled in KC’s car and went home, high on the concert and reeling from the whole experience.



I have written countless blogs, pieces, poems, songs, and even a novel about how live music is my happiest place.  Whether I’m playing it or in the audience, nothing makes me feel better.  It makes me feel like I’m soaring.  Going to this concert directly after a weekend of playing music was simply magical, and an experience I’ll carry for the rest of my life.  I got to spend my birthday with my favorite band, surrounded by my friends, singing “Lost Without Each Other” at the top of my lungs.  Hanson shows are, above all else, so inspiring to me as a musician, and the St. Pete show was no exception.  

Peace, Love, and "Oh that little guy from the nineties?"
KT

(ps - check back later for my ATLANTA post!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment