Angela and I

Angela and I

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Books, Books, Books!!

It's Wednesday!  Thankfully, my beautiful, new Chromebook laptop was delivered to me this afternoon, so I can kick this blogging back into high gear!  I've only done a few posts since my old lappy died (RIP) but now that I have a new and improved computer, I will be doing more posts.

This week for book day, I'm going to do a sort of "lightning round" style of reviewing.  I've read four books since my last review , so instead of doing a separate post for each one, I will just do four shorter reviews in one fell swoop!  Here we go!

The Geeks Shall Inherit The Earth - By Alexandra Robbins


I've been on a bit of a non-fiction kick lately, and I tore through this book like there was no tomorrow.  I ended up being so passionate about it, in fact, that Beth asked me to do a post  over on her blog!  I found myself absolutely enthralled with these individual's lives - delving into the psyche of teenagers by way of anthropological research!  I've talked enough about how important I believe coming of age stories are, and in this book you get to take a peek into real coming of age stories, sometimes with outcomes you wouldn't expect.  You will find yourself thinking back to high school with all sorts of different emotions, but in the end you will be proud of the accomplishments, lessons, and quirks that defined your four years.  Please hop on over to Beth's blog to read more of my thoughts!

The Way - by Kristen Wolf


I have a strange, book related tradition that I have kept for some time now - around Christmas, I read "How Far to Bethlehem" (yes, every year) and around Easter I read some sort of Jesus related book. This year, I decided to go with "The Way", which takes the story we know so well and turns it into something completely new!  While the writing left a bit to be desired, it was fascinating seeing this story play out (especially because I knew what was going to happen in the end).  Without giving too much away, this novel follows Anna, an extremely strong and powerful girl who has always been called "handsome" instead of the adjectives society generally distributes to those of the female sex.  When her younger brother, Jesus, dies while being born, one thing leads to another and soon the reader is following her on a very unexpected journey.  She is taught the ancient ways of loving the earth and each other from a group of women in the desert, and in turn becomes a teacher herself.  Was it the best Jesus book I've ever read?  Far from it.  But it was very interesting and made me think about a story that has been drilled into my head for years in a completely new way.

Secrets and Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy - by Sanjiv Bhattacharya


Mormon Polygamy is one of my favorite topics in the history of the world.  Don't ask me why.  I literally can't get enough. I have spent hours thinking about which number wife I would want to be (I am the best suited to be a second, and I would love to discuss this with you). I wish there were about a trillion more episodes of "Big Love" for me to watch.  I long for a live stream of the Brown households (from "Sister Wives") that I could just creep on whenever I need my fix.  Luckily, there are plenty of books on the subject, many of which I have already read.  This one has been on my list for a while, and I might just have to say it's my favorite so far!  Bhattacharya is fearless in his investigations of the different worlds the Fundamentalist Mormon religion has created throughout the country.  Not to mention he is absolutely hilarious.  I found myself cackling loudly one minute, then cringing with disgust.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  What I loved most was how honest he was.  This quote sums up my feelings, and why I am so utterly obsessed, very well:

"Happiness is a risk, and Mormon Polygamy is full of gamblers, leading lives of purpose and drama, all the things I want in my own life." 

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape  - by Jenna Miscavige Hill


Oh man, this book was difficult to read for a few different reasons.  First of all, it really is beyond belief, as the title implies.  My brain was so confused because it thought I was reading a dystopian novel about a futuristic world!!  I had to constantly remind myself that this was a true story, and that this woman who is not much older than me went through it.  Second of all, the narrative voice is a bit robotic and disturbing.  As you're reading it, you can definitely tell Jenna was brainwashed.  Lastly, the things she had to go through are very shocking, and I found myself having to take breathers to wrap my head around what was happening!  All of that aside, this book was astounding.  I recommend it to anyone who is interested in cult-like religions, or if you have just read one too many books on Mormon Polygamy and need some new cray cray thing to read about.

What have you been reading?! I'd love to know!

1 comment:

  1. It's vAry clear that you have a minor in religious studies.

    ReplyDelete