Angela and I

Angela and I

Monday, May 26, 2014

Thoughts on Happiness.

Happy Memorial day, friends!!  I hope you all are enjoying the day and the sunshine. I am safely in St. Pete, spending the day drilling lines so that I can feel completely prepared for rehearsal tomorrow!


I am currently reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  I'm about half way through, and I have really enjoyed reading it thus far.  As someone who is on her own journey towards happiness, balance, and self discovery, there are aspects of the book I definitely identify with.  What's also great is her philosophy is one I ascribe to (even though I don't always follow it) - that happiness is a choice and something you have to work for...it's not just going to fall into your lap.  Her "12 commandments" and "Happiness Resolutions" got me thinking a lot about my own aspects of happiness - what makes me truly happy?

After giving it some thought and taking extensive notes (because I am Hermione Granger, nice to meet you), I came up with my own personal list.  I took some cues from Rubin herself, and created my own goals, cobbling together my own happiness project.

KT's Pillars of Happiness 

1. Be 100% KT Berger.
2. Let go, let flow.
3. Take control of what needs to be controlled.  As someone with an actual, diagnosed addiction to control, this is a very delicate balance.  The moment I decided to take control of my recovery and let go of my disorder, I felt a huge cosmic shift in my life.  I felt powerful, whereas the control I cultivated with my ED left me feeling weak and unhappy.
4. Fake it 'til you make it - Act the way you want to feel.
5. Allow yourself to rest. It is so important.
6. Give in to cravings of all kinds.  Not just food (but mostly food).  If you're craving some juicy yoga stretches, do them.  If you're craving a cathartic release, go scream and punch your pillow. If you're craving pizza...you know the answer.
7. Life is a journey, enjoy the process, and don't beat yourself up about relapses.
8. Be honest with your feelings and express them in a healthy, constructive way.
9. Be honest with the people around you.  Lying and fabricating only makes things harder in the long run.
10. Allow yourself to truly connect with others.
11. Don't worry if others are judging you for not "doing enough."  This is a hard one for me that I was forced to deal with a lot these last few months.
12. Do what fills your cup up with joy, and attempt to have fun with every task you're given.
13. BREAK RULES.  The rush that comes from defying Emily's voice is a high unlike any other!!
14. Celebrate EVERY. SINGLE. VICTORY.  No matter how small.
15. Take pride in your work.  You could be changing someone's life.

One of the most important things that brings me joy and happiness no matter what state I am in is to spend time with others.  For a long time I identified myself so intensely as a classic introvert, when if you really know me (especially if you knew me in high school) you KNOW that I crave connection.  It is my drug of choice!  Over the past few months I've really been working on bringing back those more extroverted parts of me, and while I still love hanging out in my room and reading into the wee hours of the morning, I'm so sick of isolating and alienating myself.  Spending time with friends rejuvenates me and thrills me, and I never regret hanging out (I do however, often regret staying at home and overthinking everything ever)!  As corny as it is...I love people.  Here are some of those people!!






Look at all those beautiful faces!! Jeez, I have the best friends.

What are some of the things that bring you joy and happiness? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment