Angela and I

Angela and I

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Hill by hill, Mile by mile...


Walking on trails and hiking mountains - that is where I feel the most at peace.  Whether it's strolling through Central Park, walking to the Confluence on the State Trail (although, I always preferred going the other way to "Leah".), hiking from Bray to Greystones, or spending the day at the Pinnacles - that is my idea of time well spent.  As someone with a very over active brain, it is precious time when everything else falls away and there's only me and the earth beneath my feet.


Luckily I share this passion with my sister, Beth.  We grew up going on adventures together and with our Dad.  Hell, we first started hiking in the Alps when we were 10 and 5!  Our last name literally means "Man of the Mountain."  Of COURSE we feel at home on the trail. We both start getting a little on edge in the winter when the nasty weather keeps us from breaking out our boots and backpacks. With the first hints of spring in the air, I am getting extremely excited for our first hike of the season. It is Beth's goal (and because I am the worst little sister in the world, and want to be just like her, mine as well) to eventually hike the Appalachian Trail. I hope her trail name is "Little Bee."


Right now I'm reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail and it is slowly becoming one of my favorite books. Again, my little sister syndrome is showing because Beth recommended it , but I am so happy I decided to be a part of her virtual book club and go snag a copy from the library.  It so beautifully and honestly captures not only hiking and the brutalities of the wilderness, but the struggles of the human condition.  I find myself relating deeply to Cheryl, even though I have never hiked longer than a day at a time.  But I do believe that I am at a crossroads in my life, just as she was.  I am in the process of peeling away layers of bullshit that have plagued me for some time now and digging deep to the core of who I truly am.  She had to get on the trail in order to do that, and in a lot of ways I understand that feeling.  She stripped herself of everything but basic human needs - food, water, and protection from the elements - and thus found herself.

I don't think I'll have to hike from the Mexican border to the Canadian border in order to be myself.  But getting out there in nature, away from screens and cell phone service and judgement, that is a time where I can feel 100% Katie Berger. Once it warms up, I hope you'll join Beth and me on some adventures...we'd love to have you! 

Keep calm and hike on, beautiful people <33 

No comments:

Post a Comment